The tattoo will take approximately 3-4 weeks to heal. It may be red and tender for the first few days and then it may develop a scab layer and appear crusty. Immediately after getting your tattoo there may be some minor bleeding or oozing, swelling and/or bruising of the area. Next your tattoo will start flaking and may appear pale and uneven in color. Itching during this phase of the healing process is normal.
DO NOT SCRATCH IT!!! The waxy, pale look will slowly leave and the skin will return to its normal appearance and texture. Your tattoo is considered healed now.
Infections or allergic reactions to tattoos are quite rare. Infections can usually be prevented by following the guidelines set forth in this aftercare and by good hygiene. Signs of infection include fever and redness and heat emanating from tattoo. Excessive redness, bumps or rashes are some signs of allergic sensitivity. Allergic reactions are more likely due to the ointments or lotions used than the pigment of the tattoo. If you have any concerns contact me or a physician.
1) Leave bandage on overnight. Or 3-5 Hours
2) The following morning, wash your hands with mild liquid soap and water. Carefully remove bandage.
3) For the FIRST 3 DAYS, wash your tattoo thoroughly with warm water and mild liquid Antibacterial Soap. Be sure to remove any blood, lymph fluid and debris. Rinse your tattoo with water, making sure to get soap residue off tattoo. Pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel. Apply a minimal amount of Aquaphor Healing Ointment and rub gently into the skin 2-3 times daily. Do not goop it on. After the 3rd day just give the tattoo a light rinse making sure to not disturb flaking skin for 5-7 days, or until heavy flaking is done. Pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel. Switch to applying a light, fragrance-free and dye-free lotion like Lubriderm or Jergens.
5) FOR THE FIRST 3 WEEKS NO SOAKING: NO HOT TUBS, NO BATH TUBS, NO SWIMMING, ETC…showers are fine.
6) AVOID SUNLIGHT AND TANNING BOOTHS ALTOGETHER. USE SUNSCREEN FOR THE LIFE OF YOUR TATTOO TO MAINTAIN COLOR AND CLARITY.
7) Do not shave the area of your tattoo until the tattoo is fully healed, after approximately 3-4 weeks.
NO PICKING OR SCRATCHING: no matter how much it itches!
In order for tattoo to heal properly good aftercare is essential. Follow these instructions until the tattoo is completely healed.